Verse for Today

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The One-Year Bible - 3 February 2012

Readings:
Exodus 17:8 - 19:15
Matthew 22:34 - 23:12
Psalm 27: 7-14
Proverbs 6: 27-35

Psalms reading: Ministers are also human, and it hurts when we feel that we may have somehow dropped the ball in any particular area - especially when it seems that everything that started off so right now seems to be going wrong.  Just as the 1995 Van Morrison song goes, when it seems that things are going just a little too right and we get a little smug with ourselves, be assured: "there'll be days like this".

And so whenever one is going through the odd "day like this", we can draw comfort from this Psalm.  Starting off with an anguished cry to God for help - even when it seems that all around things are falling apart, there is that assured proclamation in Verse 10: "Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close".  That is an encouraging word indeed.

Many of us are going through some or other trial at the moment.  Bur if ever there was a word from the Lord that is apt for the situation, it is Verses 9-10: "Yet I am confident I will see the Lord's goodness while I am here in the land of the living.  Wait patiently for the Lord.  Be brave and courageous.  Yes, wait patiently for the Lord."

Do I hear an Amen?!

No comments:

Post a Comment